Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to School: E.L.F. BEAUTYBOOKS

...and another E.L.F. post. Sometime last week I went to Target in search of a new makeup bag and some travel brushes. As I was cruising down the makeup section I was surprised to run into these E.L.F. palettes! That Target stopped carrying E.L.F. a few months back so I didn't expect to find these.

I've never tried any of the E.L.F. eyeshadows, but for $5 each I thought they were worth a shot...and that's where I get in trouble with E.L.F.: everything is so affordable, that I don't feel as guilty as I should when I splurge on their products.

Anyway-there were three palettes available: Eye Brights Edition, Neutral Eye Edition & Smoky Eye Edition. Being the sucker that I am for neutrals, I got the Neutral Eye Edition and the Smoky Eye Edition of course.

I must say that I am really impressed with the pigmentation of these eyeshadows. For $5, I think that these are great for beginners or anyone that just wants to play around with some new shades because you don't have to break the bank and it comes with a guide inside the "notebook" that tells you more or less how to apply the shadows.

These palettes are being compared to a few of the Urban Decay palettes. I do agree that in terms of color there are several dupes, but as far as the actual shadows are concerned, the ones from E.L.F. are powdery and can cause a lot of fallout. The staying power is OKAY, but you definitely need a primer.

Overall I think that they are a nice addition to any makeup collection, but are definitely not a must-have (in my opinion). I would rather pay a little more and buy a NYX palette.

Below are a few pictures of the palettes. (CLICK TO ENLARGE.)

Neutral Eye Edition


Included is an eyeliner in COFFEE and a sponge tip applicator.

Smoky Eye Edition


Included is an eyeliner in BLACK and a sponge tip applicator.

Here are just some random swatches from both palettes (w/o a primer/base):

-♥ Ariana

17 comments:

  1. you know i saw these at target and i didnt
    even open them to see because i thought it
    would be crappy colors, but now seeing all
    the reviews i will definitely like to buy
    them they dont look cheap at all! how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are amazing!:D

    http://allthingsmarie.blogspot.com/
    Beauty. Fashion. Interior Design.
    & Life According to Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the awards girl! :)

    http://live-love-makeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog....came across it and followed.

    Leave to you my blog so u can check it out....
    Caricollazo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Actually I just saw these this past weekend at Target. I was amazed at what beautiful colors they had. And they were so cheap! I love these color kits. I didnt get them because I had just made a large makeup purchase but Im so going back next week to get them! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments ladies! I've gotten a lot of use from these palettes this past week...glad I got them. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there oh I kinda want to order those beautybooks... it feels like u can create so many looks with just one little book =)... Omg pretty little liar its just so addicting... But no I havent read the books, but I kinda want to just cuz =) Im gonna see if I can find them in my local library

    ReplyDelete
  8. the colors are SO pretty, but powdery? no thank you, i have enough of those, lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look amazing! and the colors are so wearable and perfect for different occasions. i'm so jealous of people in the US, you have access to such a variety of drugstore products!

    ReplyDelete
  10. really just $5????i really like brown colors and i am bored of my brown shadow!!!and they come with instructions!!cooool!!


    http://fashionablylonely.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmn..i was doubtful of buying the palettes but after your review, i think im gonna get them all! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what i like abt these palette are the packaging which looks like a scrapbook and the shades are pretty. i have my eyes on the neutral one..thanks for posting this up!:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. is very useful review for me thx:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read each and every single comment that is left. If you have a question, it will be answered on this post, so make sure to check back. (: